The LifeWatch ERIC Intensive School: Boost your research with semantic artifacts
In recent years, one of the major challenges in Environmental and Earth Sciences has been managing and searching larger volumes of data, collected across multiple disciplines.
Many different standards, approaches, and tools have been developed to support the Data Lifecycle from Data Acquisition to Data Curation, Data Publishing, Data Processing and Data Use. In particular, modern semantic technologies provide a promising way to properly describe and interrelate different data sources in ways that reduce barriers to data discovery, integration, and exchange among biodiversity and ecosystem resources and researchers.
This course is built as a five-day intensive school providing the knowledge on how to create semantic artifacts for a specific domain and use them to annotate and analyse data in a Virtual Research Environment.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Apply by 30 July by filling in the sign-up form here.
When and where
25 – 29 September 2023, Lecce, Italy
The School is mainly aimed at IT architects, Research Infrastructure (RI) service developers and user support staff, and RI staff.
- Compare the most important approaches to Semantic Web and Ontology Engineering, presenting their main characteristics
- Discuss the main steps of the design and development of ontologies and semantic artifacts repositories
- Examine the most critical elements and tools for designing thesauri
- Demonstrate how to annotate and query your data in a Virtual Research Environment
- Create your Virtual Research Environment, using tools such as NaaVRE
- Day 1 – Welcome
- Day 2 – Semantic Web and Ontology Engineering (Theory and Practice)
- Day 3 – Design Thesauri and Annotate your data (Theory and Practice)
- Day 4 – AI and Ontologies
- Day 5 – Closing
- Nicola Fiore, LifeWatch ERIC
- Armando Stellato, Tor Vergata University of Rome
- Manuel Fiorelli, Tor Vergata University of Rome
- Zhiming Zhao, University of Amsterdam
- Yifang Shi, University of Amsterdam
- Gabriel Pelouze, LifeWatch ERIC
- Clement Jonquet, INRAE (MISTEA), University of Montpellier (LIRMM)
- Joaquín López Lérida, LifeWatch ERIC
- Mark Musen, Stanford University (TBC)